Monday, November 25, 2013

Review: Wii Fit U

Time to work up a Wii U sweat...
So Wii Fit U came out a while ago on Wii U Eshop.  If you buy a Fit Meter, which measures your exercise levels all day, and synch it up with the Wii U, then the game is free (Well $20 for the Fit Meter).  Otherwise it's free for 30 days if you have a Balance Board.

So the problem is that there are no Fit Meters in stores(when I tried to get them anyway, which was a couple of weeks ago).  I mean like none.  They were sold out online for the normal price.  I had to pay $6 extra dollars plus shipping on Amazon.  If you haven't downloaded it yet and can wait, I'd wait to get ahold of a Fit Meter before downloading the free version, which is available until January 31, 2014.  The physical copy drops on December 13, so you may have to wait until then...

So how's the game?  So this isn't a typical gamers' game.  It is an exercise tool, assistant and a game all at the same time.  Keeping that in mind, this review is based off of that concept.

 The extra modes are great excluding one(Ultimate Obstacle Course is wonky).  From being a waiter and keeping the Wii Pad stable with food rolling around and you having to deliver it (flat containers, cylinders and balls, it gets pretty intense), to a rock climbing wall (which is really cool) to swimming around as a scuba diver trying to find treasure and fish, you won't be bored with the variety of games.  95% of the old games and exercises are back (maybe 100% and I haven't unlocked them all?), so unless you're going to miss the candle sitting game, you should be able to find your favorite.  The game uses Wii Motion Plus controls now, so a lot of the games are more accurate.  The driving range was much more fun with this version.

There's a dance mode with different types of ways to get down, but this isn't my thing, so I haven't done this part all that much.  The aerobics sections had portions that are like games themselves, which is surprising.  The puzzle squash is my favorite.  This acts like racket ball, but you have to aim the ball at sections of the same color while running to your new positions using he balance board, it can get hectic.  I've been playing Wii Sports Club Tennis and it takes some getting used to, just like this game.  You have to angle your Wiimote the right way to send the ball where you want it.

The graphics look better, but the voice overs for the Wii Fit Trainers are basically the same.  There is some new dialogue, but how many ways can you talk about doing jackknives or push ups?

There are outfits to unlock for high scores.  There are fit meter challenges that have you running and elevating to different locations.  So if you walked 2 miles while you were out, your Mii walks 2 miles through London (that's where I'm at) on a little map and landmarks are passed along the way.  It's a nice motivator for using your Fit Meter.

This is the outfit that the other gyms will see you in as you running around in.  Speaking of gyms, you can join groups, which are called gyms.  Other people can see your activities and scores, etc.  The only problem I have with it, is that this setting automatically posts every activity I do on my Miiverse feed.  So people look at my feed (which is under Tremordeth, if you want to send me a friend request, go ahead, but put your name in the comments so I can send you a request.  If you've been on Miiverse, you know what I'm talking about)... anyway, my feed is full of freaking jacknives and push ups.  I turned it off, but oddly enough, I missed seeing what all of the others in the Daily Gym were doing, so I turned it back on and just delete the activities I don't want filling up my feed.  I hope they fix this with a patch.I know a lot of people hate DLC, but I would love to see additional activities and games up for download.

Overall, for what it is, Wii Fit U is great.  It's everything that the original was and a lot more.  Especially for the current download deal where it basically costs $20.  The physical copies are out on December, 13, if you want all of the stuff brand new.  If you're on the fence, download it for free and use it for a month.  Good stuff.

8.5 out of 10 waving Balance Board


No comments:

Post a Comment